Monday, August 11, 2008

Confidence

Original Article

I think this is more about confidence and growth then anything else. RK from "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" fame talks about this as expanding your world. He uses the analogy of a glass with water pouring in, if too much is put in it overflows. If you increase the size of your glass, you can hold more water.

I think it's more about confidence. If you act like something is normal, other people will think it is normal. If I tell you I'll give you advice for $50/hr, and act like it's routine, you would probably pay it without a second thought (as long as you didn't know that I don't charge other people more or less). If you feel like I'm pulling a fast one on you, you're not going to oblige.

I ran into this situation with my Dad at one point. He was trying to decide what his rate should be now that he's retired. I said he should go high, but he shot low. So they said yes, and maybe long term it will get him more work, but I still think he could have shot high and spent the extra hours marketing himself to keep the demand up and he would have ended up making more money in less time with less overall effort.

The problem I run into in my own life is that I don't have enough confidence in myself. I keep doing stupid, menial tasks at work, much below the level I should be doing, so I end up lowering my confidence rather than raising it. Also, instead of getting better and better at one thing (or at least believing that I am), I switch between things and then feel like I've lost ground.

Maybe eventually I'll start a motivation/personal coaching service and bill myself out at an hourly rate. I keep telling myself that I have to be at a certain point with my own life before I do that though, because I don't want to feel like some kind of hypocrite.

Anyway, this is a good read at least, since we should all be working towards growth and having a greater and greater belief in our own personal value.

No comments: