Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Baby Steps

Well, not the great dynamic start I was hoping for.

I checked some online classifieds as well as some little local papers in search of investors. I found one lady's name and number.

So I'm 1/10 of the way to my goal, not counting actually contacting the people. I also did not find any leads yesterday, but at least that part was ok because I didn't actually go looking. Today is a holy day of obligation so I went to church last night during the period of the day I'm home from work and the sun is still up.

I'm planning on checking the Post's classifieds tonight and maybe trying to go for a walk in a non-local neighborhood to get a change of venue and possibly my first potential leads.

I keep bouncing back and forth between laziness and motivation. I really want to get something going, even just to prove to myself that I can generate other lines of income. I feel like the largest thing is just breaking down the mental barrier that I have that says that you make money from doing a job for an employer. I want to train myself to start thinking of ways to create money by using economic forces - people willing to pay for something based off of convenience or scarcity at a location. Also, try to generate enough confidence in myself that I know that what I do is worth being paid for, or that entertainment, motivation or ideas that I express make a change in another person worth of collecting a payment.

I was talking to a coworker today who has a business degree. People always say to "get an MBA" whenever you even mention wanting to start a business, so I figured I'd ask him a few questions to get an idea what they actually teach you. He said there are four main categories. Marketing, finance, operations and economics? I'm not sure about the forth one. Part of my problem is marketing. I'm not use to selling my ideas to people for monetary gain. I debate and argue with my family about how we all see the world, but that's not the same as trying to appeal to a client.

Anyway, for the time being, I'm going to keep taking my baby steps and hope that it really starts to amount of something over time. I'm not in any rush and it's not like any of my other ideas really hit a home run right away. This seems like a solid path with a lot of potential that will be worth taking the time to learn. I just need to be patient and take it one step at a time.

No comments: