Monday, August 20, 2007

A New Week

So, I did not meet my goals for the week. I rallied a total of 5 investor numbers and 1 lead, which sadly is pretty poor percentage of the 10 and 10 that I was aiming for.

Instead of being discouraged and giving up, I'm going to think of this as the first step, starting to get the crank turning. It's always hardest to start moving.

I didn't post anything yesterday, mainly because I didn't work towards my business at all. I did do some other miscellaneous things that have helped me have a few realizations.

First, I finally finished reading "Retire Young, Retire Rich" by RK. The book is very inspiring and helps to expand your context but is definitely not much of a tutorial. In some ways I feel like RK has lost touch with the common man and does not speak to them where they are but only from where he is and it's hard to bridge the gap as you continue to live in your everyday routine. Sure I'd love to be financially free and just not go to work but it's not just going to happen because I read his books. He had a Rich dad giving him advice and encouraging him while he made the push and it still took him 9 years to do it. I've been trying for a year or so now and I've made some solid changes that have cut my retirement age down from 65 by a good chunk, but still not far enough for my liking. I am much wiser for the wear though, and if the stat of 9 out of 10 businesses fail is correct I should be getting pretty close to that number ten that will succeed. I just hope I'm learning the lessons I need to from each failure.

Second, I read "Acres of Diamonds", a book I had heard about from Quixtar and from various other motivational sources. It makes a lot of clear, valid points that make sense. Instead of thinking wealth is always around the next bend it tries to show the perspective that you can be a success anywhere. The reality is that everyone has needs and if you help fill them you will become very successful. It makes a lot of sense. I've always had a hard time making the connection that little things that are easy for me could be worth a lot to someone else and even be worth them paying me for. So after reading this that is one of the things I'm going to try and work on in the future. I thought of a good potential small business of picking up sticks for neighbors, but rather than putting a lot of effort into that at this time I'm going to keep trying to make the push for this jobber business.

Third, I began reading "As a Man Thinketh". This is very similar to "The Magic of Thinking Big" which discusses how your thoughts control your actions. "The Science of Getting Rich" is also similar to this, saying that if you focus on something you want strong enough, it will come to you. These are all great concepts but I still continue to struggle to incorporate them into my day to day life. That is something I'm working on as well.

A few other things: I continued to prepare for the GMATs that I'll be taking in under 3 weeks. I imagine I'd do well enough to land in the required range already, but I really want to dominate this test since it's the first step to valuable education and since I'm paying $250 to take it. I had a conversation with some people about potential businesses. All they could think about were the problems and a lot of negative focus. This made me realize again what I had during the first few weeks of the Rich Dad coaching I did last fall. If you want to succeed you have to surround yourself with people with the right attitude and similar goals. Which means that in the future, when I have a better opportunity to, I'll have to spend less time with these people and find more people that think like I do. Others have already told me this but its hard for me to just disregard what people close to me say.

This week I'm going to set smaller goals but hopefully more attainable and productive. They are as follows:
- Go to the courthouse and find foreclosure records for the week.
- Find 5 more investors.
- Contact all 10 investors.

One last side note for today. In the REJ training stuff they discuss setting up a website for your business. While this is not really practical for my business at this point, I do think I'll set something up for my team when the basketball season starts up this year. I think that'll end up to be great experience and a great way to boost my team.

No comments: