Friday, August 17, 2007

MBA on the way

I managed to squeeze in some time yesterday. I looked through the classifieds when I got home and found 3 more investor ads. So now I'm 4 out of 10. Unfortunately the Post's classifieds didn't yield the same kind of results today so I'm going to have to be creative today and tomorrow to get up to my goal of 10. The instructions I'm following said that usually there are a lot in the less frequent papers, so I'll have to find a news stand or something that has cheaper local papers. Tonight and tomorrow begins my hunt for leads anyway so I imagine I'll be able to find something on my drive.

I reread some of the section volume of the instructions but not any of the third volume yet. That's most likely what I'll do today. The third volume is an account of the steps to follow when starting out. Not exactly a listing, more a journal of a fictional person who is a mixture of the writer's experience as well as the experiences of people who have built this business and sent him some commentary. I figure following in the steps isn't perfect but at least it'll keep me on track.

My new goal of getting my MBA is helping to keep pushing me towards building this business. I'd really like to get it to the point in 4 months or so where it is generating more than enough to cover my monthly expenses. Then I can have the choice of going to school full time and quitting my job or just going part time and having a really large cashflow. At the very least it could really help in covering tuition costs without setting me back from my other goals.

I signed up for the GMATs (the standardized test used to determine if you have the skills for business school) this morning after having to wait a day for the pre-qualifying step. I'll be taking them on September 8th, so it's only about 3 weeks from now. I'm going to have to hit up the library and get cracking on some practice tests so I'm back in game shape when it's time for the test.

I've been dragging my feet about this MBA idea because I really didn't want to go back to school. Now that I feel like I'll be learning about what I want to do anyway it doesn't seem so bad. I mean it's been 5 years or so since I was actually taking classes in something I was really passionate about. It turns out that dragging my feet wasn't so bad though since some programs require two years of full time work experience before they let you in anyway. January will be just about exactly right for that, so it works out well. As long as I do well on the GMATs I shouldn't have any problems meeting the other requirements since my undergrad GPA was over at 3.0. I can get some recommendations from former employers as well as former teachers as well.

What's interesting is that the guy who made the instructions for how to setup a jobber business talked about the psychological effects of having goals and starting to change your life. I didn't really believe him when I read it, but now I'm starting to really see what he means. I imagine things will only keep getting better as I really start building something and reaching larger and larger goals.

No comments: